Published on April 7th, 2018 | by Matt Dumoulin
Wilsons Promontory National Park is the Southern-most tip of the Australian Mainland, a large ‘isthmus’ of land that bulges into Bass Strait. It has long been a place of natural beauty, lived and foraged by first Australians for thousands of years, plundered by settlers in the 19th century before National Park status was given in 1908. George Bass and Matthew Flinders, early British explorers of the area named the impressive landscape after Londoner merchant Thomas Wilson, likely unknowing of the indigenous name of Wammom and Yirruk given to the area by the Gunai/Kurnai and Boonerwrung Clans (respectively). Coves and beaches are protected by large and impressive headlands, making ‘The Prom’ a world-class venue for sea kayaking. Islands that make up the ‘Glennie Group’, sitting 10-20km offshore, tantalise the sea kayaker of the many island groups beyond sight linking all the way to Tasmania.